Construction of the Kiewa Hydro Scheme by Victoria's SECV on the Bogong High Plains and the lower slopes of Mt. Bogong itself, had commenced in the late 1930's, but was interrupted by the Second World War. Work recommenced in the late 1940's and the SECV construction workforce also included many migrant workers who were also keen skiers. The SECV access roads allowed the development of the Falls Creek ski village in the early post-war years. In 1948 two lodges (Bogong and Skyline) had been built and the Albury Ski Club had commenced building its lodge. By 1953 there were ten ski club lodges in Falls Creek, a public accommodation chalet and a ski school with a rope tow.